See also…Visiting the Isles of Shoals
- UNH Shoals Discovery Cruises. Vessel departs from UNH’s Judd Gregg Marine Research Complex; located at 29 Wentworth Rd. in New Castle, NH. For further information: 603- 749-1565 – Natural and cultural history tours of Appledore and the Shoals Marine Lab by the UNH Marine Docents via a cruise on the R/V Gulf Challenger.
- Celia Thaxter’s Garden at Shoals Marine Laboratory. Vessel departs from UNH’s Judd Gregg Marine Research Complex; located at 29 Wentworth Rd. in New Castle, NH. For more information, call: 603-430-5220 -Celia Thaxter’s Garden tour on Appledore lead by the UNH Marine Docents via a cruise on the R/V Gulf Challenger.
- Shoals Marine Laboratory. Burge Dock at 315 Market Street in Portsmouth, NH. Contact SML Coastal Office at 603.430.5220 or email@example.com for more information. RESERVATIONS REQUIRED – Adult and family programs in history, art, and marine science.
- Day Visitors only. Day visitors are welcome in the summer on Smuttynose, a privately owned island. The island can be reached only by rowboat or dingy, which can be tied up in the harbor. There are no restroom or public facilities on the island and fires and alcohol are not permitted. The Smuttynose Stewards, in residence throughout the summer, can point visitors to a walking tour.
- Isles of Shoals Steamship Company. Leaves from 215 Market Street in Portsmouth, NH. For more information call 800-441-4620 or 603-431-5500 – Portsmouth Harbor and Shoals cruises on the M/V Thomas Laighton with tours or stopovers on Star Island.
- Island Cruises. Leaves from Rye Harbor State Marina, Route 1A in Rye, NH. For further information: 603-964-6446 or uncleoscar.com – Shoals cruises with tours of Star Island and ferry runs to Star Island on the M/V Uncle Oscar.
- Star Island Conferences. For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org – Weekend to week long spiritual, history, science and arts conferences
- Newburyport Whale Watch. Newburyport, Massachusetts. For further information, call 1-800-848-1111 – Includes one hour stop over to Star Island with tour.
- Day visitors– Unless visiting the island on a scheduled cruise, only rowboats or dingies can dock, space permitting. Visitors can frequent the Snack Bar during posted hours, as well as the shops at the Conference Center.